pages


homediarymixtapesfashion weekly crushABOUT ME

Friday, January 17, 2014

Life Lessons // One

To be honest I really believe that my personality and character have changed a lot in the past 2 years. High school has really opened my eyes to all of the things that I haven't been able to see before. One of the things that I have learned is that people are complex. I've always made hasty generalizations about people and I'm sure that even on here I've just classified people and stuck them into groups, but the reality is that everyone is different and that there isn't just one thing that defines people. Similar to Tris in Divergent, where although she chooses Dauntless, she still holds characteristics of Abnegation and Candor. On the outside it is almost too easy to judge people by appearances, another by their behavior and the way they speak. 

There is this girl at my school named Bijou, at first glance most would think she is pretty(I personally thought she was alright-looking) and typical girly-girl. After hearing her speak you would think that she's a not-so-smart, flighty girl. But in reality, oh my, she is one of the smartest people at my school; she spends almost all of her time studying and tries hard to put on an act that displays that everything is easy for her. Freshman year I had Spanish with her and thought that she wasn't so smart and tried hard to be cute. Sophomore year I had Spanish with her again, yet it 5/6 Honors which is a pretty grueling, intensive class. Many people struggled in that class because of the way our teacher thought. I remember looking over a test that we had just gotten back me with my pitiful B- and her with a stunning A+. I was extremely confused and wondered how a volatile, air headed girl could have done better than me. After discussing with several other people, I realized that she was extremely smart but acts dumb. For several months I had contemplated how someone can put on an act everyday for so long. Does she feel people would treat her differently? Some days I try to "act" differently and it is too exhausting. She is an extremely enigmatic person. But it really isn't my place to judge someone; another thing that's changed about me is my mindset. Freshman year I ranted all the time, everyday like there was no tomorrow. Talking about other people, gossiping to let it out, but in reality it made me feel more worked up. Now I would say that I don't talk about other people as much. I have more things to worry about then other people and what they're dealing with; I know that it might sound critical, but it really isn't any of our business to go into other people's lives and started picking at their decisions and choices. 

If you currently are in a public place or next time you are, look around at the other people around you. All of those people have their own lives, their own demons, own moments of happiness, own periods of sadness. I suppose what I am trying to say is that don't make hasty generalizations about people. "Don't judge a book by its cover" as much as in reality that is what people do, we can all attempt to make an effort. People want to be unique, be distinguished from the rest of society, we should give everyone that chance. Starting with people at school; people that have been rude to you, people who have leaned against you, or people that you've never talked to before. People are interesting; we're all the same yet so different at the same time. Be kind, be forgiving and be empathetic. Try not to be critical of others and overall be kind. Be the person you would want to be friends with, the kind of person that someone can always turn to in times of need, because what goes around comes around.








sign

2 comments: